Red Crown Credit Union History
Red Crown Federal Credit Union received its charter on February 8, 1938, from the Farm Credit Administration under the Federal Credit Union Act. The original ten subscribers applied for an association charter to serve “All employees of the Stanolind Oil & Gas Company in the general office, laboratory, and warehouse, residing in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and members of their immediate families.“
Red Crown received it’s original name after Standard Oil’s name for their Red Crown Regular Lead Free gasoline. Red Crown’s sister credit union is White Crown Credit Union in Denver, Colorado.
In its infancy, Red Crown was run out of a shoe box in an employee’s desk during the lunch hour. Members were originally limited to a maximum of $500.00 on deposit. Over eighty years later, Red Crown offers a wide array of deposit and loan services and has come a long way from the initial ‘shoebox banking.’
Membership at Red Crown is open to those who live, work, worship, volunteer or attend school in the Tulsa, Creek, Mayes, Okmulgee, Osage, Pawnee, Rogers and Wagoner counties of Oklahoma. This includes immediate family and household members of existing Red Crown members as well. Now consumers all around the Tulsa County metro area can take advantage of being a Red Crown member.
Red Crown’s original home, The Philcade Building, downtown Tulsa, OK.